Thursday 6 December 2012

Chrome Challenge Day 2 - Creativity

My Chrome Challenge - For 1 week, I will use nothing but the Chrome browser to do everything I need to do on a laptop.

On day 2, I was feeling a little artistic. Not least because I needed to prepare some music I was writing for distribution.

Generally, good music notation software for desktop is costly, but worth it.  Most people would have heard of Sibelius.  As an open source lover (i.e. software cheapskate) I found a free desktop music software called MuseScore which has its limitations, but does the job.

Considering the Chrome Challenge, I need an online music notation software (and fast!).  Unfortunately, there was nothing in the Chrome Web Store.  But a web application is just a web site designed to work like a desktop application.  So I googled for free onilne music notation software and found the perfect candidate! Well, almost perfect...

Noteflight is a great online music notation tool.  The free account gives you access to 10 scores you can write and export to pdf.  It does play what you are writing too.  It's easy to use, and you can always re-use one of your 10 scores once you have exported your masterpiece.



Only thing missing? Offline support.  It isn't in the Chrome Web Store, so it was not designed with that in mind, but I will certainly be suggesting this feature! Also I am online at least 80% of the time (tethering through my trusty Nexus 4) so it isn't too much of an issue for me.

What other creative apps are there in the Chrome store?  Instagram is available as a Chrome extension, so whatever page you happen to be browsing, you can always click on the icon next to your search bar to see your Instagram stream to comment on.  There are plenty of photo editing web apps in the Chrome Store.  From simple apps like Sketchpad to more fully featured Photoshop-like web apps like Pixlr.

Imagine the power of Photoshop all in the browser, that saves onto Google Drive in the cloud! That is what this application claims.  The reviews are great, but I'm not an advanced user like my wife.  It's for people like her to judge how good this is.  Like I say, the reviews are good!

If you feel like changing how your Chrome looks and feels, there are several themes in the Chrome Store.  So you can change it as much as you like. If you're not a fan of the hundreds of themes available, you can create your own with many web apps like My Chrome Theme.  It let's you upload an image for your background, and colour the Chrome browser frame and text as you will.



That's all I'll mention for now for the creative amongst you.  There is one more thing I would like to explore at another time - a web based video editor! One was shared with me on Google+ called WeVideo.  That's for another day...

No comments:

Post a Comment